Holiday Shopping Safety Tips
The Danville Police Department would like you to have a safe holiday season! Follow these tips and remember to report any suspicious activity!
- After dark, shop with a friend if possible.
- Bring only cash and the credit cards you will need while shopping.
- Always try to park in a well-lit area.
- Keep the doors and windows locked, while driving or when parked.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages.
- Ask for loading assistance if available.
- Make sure your visibility is clear and you have freedom of motion to help discourage purse snatchers.
- Keep packages locked in the car trunk, even if this means making several trips to the car. Leave nothing of value visible.
- Be alert! Your purse or wallet may be a target for crime in crowded shopping areas, bus stops, and on buses.
- If someone demands your purse or wallet, surrender it immediately - it is not worth your life.
- If your wallet is stolen, report it to the Police 434-797-5111 or Emergency 9-1-1.
- Never resists if a robber or carjacker threatens you.
- Consider throwing your purse or wallet away from you or yelling loudly to create a distraction to you allow time to safely escape.
- Keep a record of your credit card numbers so you will have your numbers available when reporting the crime.
- Have your keys in hand when walking to your car or home.
- Be aware of your surroundings and anyone approaching your vehicle.
- Be careful of your holiday trash. Advertising the number and type of gifts received with discarded packages could make your more susceptible for a burglary.