Meetings of the Council are formal proceedings. The Clerk of the Council records all comments. An agenda is provided for the convenience of the public and the Council.
Meetings are televised live on River City TV and streaming on the River City Facebook Page. Meetings are also re-broadcast on alternating Tuesdays. The Council meets the first and third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m.. Council Work Sessions are held as needed following the regular business meeting.
Guidelines for Citizen Participation
At any regular meeting of the Council, visitors who desire to speak upon matters other than those on the agenda for such meeting may do so only at the time for communications from visitors. Matters brought to the attention of the Council at that time, which require action by the Council, shall be referred to the City Manager for a report at a subsequent meeting of the Council. Persons who desire to speak upon a matter of business which is on the agenda of the meeting may do so only at the time the matter is considered by the Council.
The following rules apply to "Communications from Visitors":
- Communications from Visitors shall be for the purpose of allowing members of the public to present any matter, which, in their opinion, deserves the attention of the Council. They shall not serve as a forum for debate with the Council.
- Remarks shall be addressed directly to the Council and not to staff, the audience, or the media.
- Each speaker shall clearly state his or her name and address. If the speaker is uncomfortable stating his or her address in public, he or she may provide that information privately to the Clerk of Council after speaking.
- There shall be a time limit for each individual speaker of five (5) uninterrupted minutes.
- A representative of a group may have up to ten (10) uninterrupted minutes to make a presentation. The representative shall identify the group at the beginning of his or her presentation. A group may have no more than one spokesperson.
- Speakers are not permitted to donate time to other speakers.
- There shall be no comment during Communications from Visitors on a matter for which a public hearing is scheduled during the same meeting.
- Any issue raised by the public which the Council wishes to consider may be put on the agenda for a future Council meeting or work session by a majority consensus of the Council.
- The above rules notwithstanding, members of the public may present written comments to the Council at any meeting. Such written comments shall be submitted through the Clerk of Council.
Additionally, persons appearing before Council will not be allowed to:
- Campaign for public office;
- Use profanity or vulgar language or gestures;
- Use language which insults or demeans any person or which, when directed at a public official or employee is not related to his or her official duties, however, citizens have the right to comment on the performance, conduct, and qualifications of public figures;
- Make non-germane or frivolous statements;
- Interrupt other speakers or engage in behavior that disrupts the meeting including but not limited to applause, cheers, jeers, etc.;
- Engage in behavior that intimidates others; or
- Address the Council on issues that do not concern the services, policies or affairs of the city.
These guidelines are found in the Danville City Council Rules of Procedure, adopted on February 16, 2016
Thank you for taking time to participate in your City Council meeting. The Mayor and members of council invite and encourage you to attend whenever possible because good government depends on the interest and involvement of you and your fellow citizens.