- Ethics in Procurement
Ethics in Procurement
The City of Danville Abides by the NIGP's Code of Ethics
The NIGP (National Institute of Governmental Purchasing) believes the following ethical principles should govern the conduct of every person employed by a public sector procurement or materials management organization.
- Seeks or accepts a position as head or employee only when fully in accord with the professional principles applicable thereto, and when confident of possessing the qualifications to serve under those principles to the advantage of the employing organization.
- Believes in the dignity and worth of the services rendered by the organization and the societal responsibilities assumed as a trusted public servant.
- Is governed by the highest ideals of honor and integrity in all public and personal relationships in order to merit the respect and inspire the confidence of the organization and the public being served.
- Believes personal aggrandizement or personal profit obtained through misuse of public or personal relationships is dishonest and not tolerable.
- Identifies and eliminates participation of any individual in operational situations where a conflict of interest may be involved.
- Believes members of the Institute and its staff should at no time or under any circumstances accept directly or indirectly, gifts, gratuities, or other things of value from suppliers which might influence or appear to influence purchasing decisions.
- Keeps the governmental organization informed, through appropriate channels, on problems and progress of applicable operations by emphasizing the importance of the facts.
- Resists encroachment on control of personnel in order to preserve integrity as a professional manager. Handles all personnel matters on a merit basis. Politics, religion, ethnicity, gender, and age carry no weight in personnel administration in the agency being directed or served.
- Seeks or dispenses no personal favors. Handles each administrative problem objectively and emphatically without discrimination.
- Subscribes to and supports the professional aims and objectives of the National Institute of Governmental Purchasing, Inc.