Personal Property

Personal Property Assessments
The City of Danville Commissioner of the Revenue is responsible for the assessments of automobiles, motorcycles, boats, campers, trucks, trailers, airplanes, and manufactured homes.

Vehicle assessments are based on clean trade-in value from the January issue of N.A.D.A. (National Automobile Dealers Association) guide. In the absence of a recognized price guide the Commissioner of the Revenue determines the fair market value.

Tax Rates

Note: As of June 6, 2006, citizens are no longer required to display City decals. A vehicle license fee is now charged and is included with the first half tax bill.

Payment dates for personal property taxes are:
  • First half - June 5
  • Second half - December 5
What to do if you purchase a new or used vehicle
For personal property tax purposes, vehicle owners must register their vehicles with the Commissioner of Revenue using a current registration card from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

What to do if you dispose of a vehicle
First notify the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) immediately if possible or within 30 days at (804) 497-7100; then contact the Commissioner of Revenue's office at 434-799-5145.

What to do if you move in or out of the city of Danville
First notify the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of your new address at (804) 497-7100; then contact the Commissioner of Revenue’s office at 434-799-5145.


If you received a letter from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles regarding your vehicle that requires reclassification for a personal-use truck, your vehicle will now qualify for the personal property tax relief act.

Recent action by the Virginia General Assembly changed the registration requirements for personal-use trucks with a gross weight between 7,501 and 10,000. As of July 1, 2016 these vehicles must be reclassifies as pickups, require standard passenger license plates, and no longer qualify for truck license plates.

After you have reclassified your vehicle at DMV, please notify our office for the tax relief.