For Danville Parks and Recreation, October is a scream. These upcoming events are just a few highlights of a month full of great programs and activities.
• Parks and Recreation will host evening hiking trips at Anglers Ridge every Thursday beginning on October 2. Each trip costs $5 and runs from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
• A youth archery competition will be held at Coates Recreation Center on Oct. 9. The entry fee is $15 ($18 non-city residents)
• The Glow with the Flow 5K will hit the streets on Friday, Oct. 10 at 7:45 p.m. The fee is $20. Day of registration closes at 7 p.m.
• The River District Festival, which will take place October 10 – 11, features an array of active activities from a 5K to a half marathon. Check out www.RiverdistrictFestival.org and click on Activities for a full list and registration information.
• A kayaking tour will take place on Oct. 11 during the River District Festival from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. The cost is $10 ($12 non-city resident).
• This year’s Imagine Children’s Festival and Danville’s Cardboard Challenge will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 11, at the Carrington Pavilion. Both events are free and open to the public.
• Averett University will team up with Danville Parks and Recreation to host an Autism workshop on Oct. 16 at Ballou Recreation Center. The cost is $7 ($8.75 non-city residents).
• Danville Farmers’ Market will wrap up the 2014 season on Oct. 25.
• Optimist Basketball league registration runs from Oct. 27 – Nov. 28. Sign up in person at Squire Recreation Center.
• Registration for the Dirty Dan Dash ends on Oct. 30. The race will take place on Nov. 1 at 1 p.m. at the Carrington Pavilion.
• Danville Public Library will host All Hallows Read from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Oct. 31. The free event will feature free comic books, sweets, read-aloud and classic horror films.
• Tickets are now on sale for Bright Leaf Brew Fest. Check out www.brightleafbrewfest.com for more information.
More information on all of these events as well as a full list of other recreation opportunities can be found at www.PlayDanvilleVA.com. Click on “Brochure.”
Coming in November: Holiday Bazaar, Holiday Market, Bright Leaf Brew Fest, Youth Photography Contest and Appomattox National Park and Battlefields Hike.