The Danville Public Library will celebrate the start of its summer reading challenge with a kickoff party at 4 p.m. on Thursday, June 7, at the library. This year’s theme is “Reading Takes You Everywhere.”
The party will include fun activities from local venders. The activities include face painting by What’s Her Face, balloon art by Partypalooza, fingerprinting by the Danville Police Department, and pictures with the library’s summer reading mascot Gaston.
Summer reading challenges are open to all ages and the deadline for registration is July 14. Patrons will have the opportunity to complete reading logs and attend family programming for a chance to win grand prizes. There will be one grand prize winner for each of the four age groups (0-5, 6-12, 13-17, 18+). The grand prize drawing will take place on Facebook Live, Wednesday, Aug. 1.
In addition to the summer reading challenge, the library will hold family fun nights each Thursday evening beginning June 14. The events will begin at 5:30 p.m. are free and open to anyone. Registration is required.
Here is a list of the fun night events:
- June 14: STEM LAB
- June 21: Walsh Kelly School of Irish Dance
- June 28: Dan River Twins Puppet Show
- July 5: Natural History Museum Dino Dig
- July 12: Kuumba African Dance Company
- July 19: Bright Star Touring Theatre presents “Alice in Wonderland”
- July 26: Captain Jim Magic Show
Patrons also are encouraged to participate in the Saturday programs for this summer. The programs will take place at 10 a.m. These events are free and open to anyone. Registration is required.
Here is the program schedule:
- June 9: Family Movie Matinee: Jumanji (PG-13)
- June 16: DMFAH: Then and Now w/Karen Johnson
- June 30: Infinity Acres Exhibit
- July 7: DMFAH: Crazy Quilts w/Karan Johnson
- July 14: Family Movie Matinee: Coco (PG)