Home PagePrint Page
RSSDocument CenterMy BriefcaseMobile
Follow Us On:Danville Facebook PageDanville Twitter PageDanville YouTube Page
Click for Home Page

Go To Search
Land Disturbance Permit
Brian Dunevant, P.E.
Public Works Chief Engineer

Physical Address:
427 Patton St., Room 211
Danville, VA 24541

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 3300
Danville, VA  24543

Ph: (434) 799-5019
Fx: (434) 797-8919

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
A Land Disturbance Permit is typically required for Land Disturbing activities 5,000 square feet or greater. A Land Disturbance Permit usually requires implementation of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan and Stormwater Management Plan.

Agreement in Lieu of Plan
If the Land Disturbing activity is for construction of a single family dwelling, an Agreement in Lieu of Plan may be issued instead of the Land Disturbance Permit. This agreement requires the permit holder to implement and maintain certain erosion and sediment controls at the direction of the City's Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) Program Administrator, Brian Dunevant,  without formally submitting an erosion and sediment control plan for approval.

Issuing a Land Disturbance Permit
Prior to issuing a Land Disturbance Permit, the following items are required:
  • The City must approve the Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (Site Plan and Narrative) and the Stormwater Management Plan (Site Plan and Narrative).
  • The Land Disturbance Permit Surety is provided to the City by the company applying for the permit.  The surety can be cash, check, or bond.
  • The permit fee is paid to the City and sent to the City's Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) Program Administrator, Brian Dunevant. The permit fee is $75 for the first acre plus $50 for each additional acre. The minimum permit fee is $75. A surety is required and can be cash, check, or bond.
  • A copy of the Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP) Registration Statement, copy of the fee check, and a copy of the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) are provided to the City's ESC Program Administrator, if the disturbed area of the project is one acre or greater.
  • A completed Responsible Land Disturber Designation Form is submitted to the ESC Program Administrator. View DCR's Responsible Land Disturber Program.
  • A pre-construction meeting is held with the person responsible for obtaining the permit. This person must show that they have a copy of the approved Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (site plan and narrative), a copy of the approved Stormwater Management Plan (site plan and narrative), and the VSMP SWPPP (if the disturbed area of the project is one acre or greater).

Releasing a Land Disturbance Permit and Land Disturbance Surety
The following process must be completed before releasing a Land Disturbing Permit:
  • All disturbed areas must be permanently stabilized.
  • All temporary controls must be removed and disposed of properly.
  • All permanent stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs) must be certified by a designing engineer. This is also required prior to the issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy.

Home    Contact Us    Calendar    Sitemap    Employees Only    Translate    Accessibility    Copyright Notices    Powered by CivicPlus