Applicants must successfully complete these phases:
- Written test - measures reading comprehension, mathematics, and ability to comprehend and learn from written instructions
- Physical ability test - determines if candidate is physically able to perform as a firefighter
- Oral interview - Measures interpersonal and communications skills and the motivation to become a firefighter
- Polygraph examination - determines if candidate has been truthful with information they have provided
- Criminal records check
- Employment and personal reference verification
- Psychological examination
- Drug test
- Physical examination
Applicants who successfully pass the written test will be placed on an eligibility list for three years, from the date of the written test. As the City prepares to fill firefighter vacancies, successful candidates will be selected from the eligibility list and additional testing will be scheduled.
Questions regarding the hiring process for the City of Danville should be directed to the Danville Department of Human Resources by email or by calling 434-799-5241.
No certifications are required to be hired; however, they are to be obtained within 18 months of employment. If a new employee does not have Firefighter I, Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (EVOC), and Emergency Medical Technician certifications upon employment, the department will ensure that he/she has the opportunity to gain them through the department.