The City of Danville requires that certain permits be obtained before specific work commences on public or private property. These permits apply to commercial and residential work. For more information on permits, contact Bryce M. Simmons at 434-799-5019 ext. 2531. View the Engineering Permits Summary (PDF). General permit applications may be submitted by email.
Before you dig, you must call Miss Utility. In Virginia, dial 811 or 800-552-7001.
Land Disturbance Permit
This permit is required for land disturbance areas of 5,000 square feet or greater.
- Land Disturbance Permit Guide
- Land Disturbance Permit Guide for Single Family Dwellings
- Erosion and Sediment Control / Stormwater Management Project Information Form
- Responsible Land Disturber Designation Form
- Agreement In-Lieu-of-Plan for Single Family Dwellings
- Land Disturbance Permit Bond Form
- Stormwater / BMP Agreement
Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP) General Permit for Construction Activities
This permit is for land disturbances one acre or greater, or part of a common plan, as defined by the Department of Environmental Quality.
- VSMP Permit Instructions
- DEQ VSMP Authority Map
- City of Danville VSMP City Code
- VSMP Permit Fee Information
- VSMP General Permit for Construction Activities
- VSMP Permit Registration Form
- VSMP Notice of Termination Form
- VSMP Permit Transfer Fee Form
Virginia Runoff Reduction Method
Starting July 1, 2014, the VSMP regulations require new technical criteria for development of stormwater management plans. That criterion includes the use of The Virginia Runoff Reduction Method (VRRM). Below you will find the VRRM spreadsheets for new development and redevelopment as well as instructions on how to use the spreadsheets.
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method Spreadsheet (New Development) (PDF)
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method Spreadsheet (Re-Development) (PDF)
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method Instructions (PDF)
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method Technical Memorandum (PDF)
Curb Cut Permit
This permit is required if a curb needs to be cut or if an existing entrance needs to be modified.
- Curb Cut Permit Application
- Residential Entrance Detail (PDF)
- Commercial Entrance Detail CG-9D (PDF)
- Commercial Entrance Detail CG-11 (PDF)
Storm Drainage Permit
This permit is required if any work pertaining to drainage is to be done including installation or modification of existing conveyance channels, pipes, driveway pipes, manholes, inlets, etc.
This permit is required if work is proposed to be done within the City's right-of-way.
- Excavation Permit Application
- Excavation Permit / Surety Calculation Form (PDF)
- Excavation Permit Bond Form (PDF)
- Excavation Permit Bond Form (fillable form) (PDF)
- Virginia Work Area Protection Manual (PDF)
- Virginia Flagger Certification Kit Form (PDF)
- Miss Utility (PDF)
REQUEST TO VACATE RIGHT OF WAY
This application is for an adjacent property owner requesting the abandonment of unimproved, unopened and unused right of way that was dedicated to the City. City Council will consider transfer of the right of way at no cost to the applicant. However, the applicant is responsible for paying the actual cost incurred by the City for the public hearing advertisements in addition to a fee for processing the application and a recording fee for the ordinance. All costs and fees are due upon approval by City Council. This application must be filled out and submitted to the City Engineer.
TEMPORARY RIGHT OF WAY CLOSURE
This application is for requesting closure of a city right of way or street for construction work or special events. There is no fee associated with this request. This application must be filled out and submitted to the Public Works Engineering Office.